Join us in Boston for the 2017 PIH Engage Training Institute!
The PIH Engage Training Institute is a 2-day annual conference bringing together leaders in PIH Engage and across global health. Participants learn community organizing skills, commit to the yearlong PIH Engage campaign, hear from PIH leadership, and practice the campaign tactics they'll need to advance the right to health movement. Last year's Training Institute featured 150 leaders from all over the PIH Engage network who have worked on campaigns throughout the year.
The 2017 Training Institute will take place from 9am on Saturday, August 12, through 4pm on Sunday, August 13 in Boston, MA (Location TBD). All Team Coordinators for the 2017-2018 campaign year are required to attend the Training Institute. All Team Leads are highly encouraged to attend as well. Due to potential capacity limits, non-leadership team members are asked to apply to attend, and we'll follow up to confirm your registration soon after June 1st.
2017 Training Institute Details:
- DATE: August 12-13, 2017 (optional welcome session on Friday evening, August 11)
- LOCATION: TBD
- COST: The cost to participate in this year's Training Institute is $50, which will help us offset the costs of the conference.
- DEADLINES: Fill out the form below to register! The deadline for registration (including payment of the $50 conference fee) is JUNE 10th, 2017
- IF YOU REQUIRE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: the deadline to apply for financial aid is MAY 20TH, 2017. You will be directed to the financial aid application as you complete the application.
- HOUSING: PIH Engage does not provide housing for this weekend. Participants are expected to make their own arrangements. You can find tips below.
- IF YOU ARE A MINOR (<18 years old in the U.S.): you are REQUIRED to bring a chaperon in order to secure housing. Hotels and hostels will not allow minors to book rooms without a legal adult chaperon. Please keep in mind that some hotels also have booking restrictions or additional deposits for persons under 21 years old.
- ACCESSIBILITY: Our goal is to make Training Institute accessible to everyone. For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
The 2017 Training Institute is coming fast! From August 12-13, hundreds of PIH Engage leaders will come together in Boston, MA to learn and practice organizing, advocacy, and fundraising skills designed to make their team's campaigns successful!
Here are a list of Frequently Asked Questions about Training Institute, and the answers:
- Is Training Institute Free?
- Who can come to Training Institute?
- How do I get around Boston?
- What if I can't stay for all of Training Institute?
- What housing suggestions do you have for Training Institute?
- What should I bring to Training Institute?
- What should I wear to Training Institute?
- Can my parent/friend/cousin/child come to Training Institute?
Training Institute has a small registration fee of $50 to help us offset the costs of the conference. Food provided includes breakfast and lunch for two days, as well as an optional welcome dinner on Friday, August 11. The fee does not cover housing costs or transportation, but we do have some limited financial aid available by application.
All PIH Engage Team Coordinators for the 2017-2018 campaign year are required to attend the 2017 Training Institute. All other Team Leads are highly encouraged to attend as well. Team members and other interested parties are warmly invited to attend on an application basis. While we would love everyone in our network to be able to attend Training Institute, we need to make sure we have the space first!
Boston's metro system, the T, runs throughout the entire city and is very affordable. We recommend getting a Charlie Card when you arrive in Boston at one of the many major T stops or a 7-11. Check out a map and full details here on the MBTA website.
All attendees are expected to stay for the entirety of the Training Institute. If you have extraordinary circumstances that do not allow you to attend the entire weekend, we ask that you indicate your availability on the Training Institute application and immediately follow up with PIH Engage staff to discuss the circumstances and alternatives. If your availability changes after filling out the application, immediately contact PIH Engage staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
What should I bring to Training Institute?
At Training Institute, PIH provides conference materials including a binder with room for notes and manuals for each Team Lead position. You are welcome to bring your laptop or other electronic note-taking devices, as well as snacks between meals if you'd like. Water bottles are highly encouraged to reduce waste!
The dress code for Training Institute is "smart casual." We don't expect anyone to have to wear tuxedos or ball gowns in order to work on the right to health movement. Do bring lots of layers in case the AC is blasting!
If there's someone you think would enjoy coming to Training Institute who is not currently on a PIH Engage team, they are welcome to apply along with everyone else by June 8th! Please reach out to us to let us know to look out for their application. We ask that all attendees pay the $50 registration fee if they plan on participating in the weekend. If you expect to need childcare in Boston in order to attend the conference, please also reach out to us at email@example.com.