Join us in Boston for the 2018 Training Institute!
The PIH Engage Training Institute is a 2-day annual conference bringing together leaders in PIH Engage and across global health. Participants learn community organizing skills, commit to the yearlong PIH Engage campaign, hear from PIH leadership, and practice the campaign tactics they'll need to advance the right to health movement. Last year's Training Institute featured 150 leaders from all over the PIH Engage network who have worked on campaigns throughout the year.
The 2018 Training Institute will take place from 9am on Saturday, August 11, through 4pm on Sunday, August 12 in Boston, MA (800 Boylston St. Suite 300). All Team Coordinators for the 2017-2018 campaign year are required to attend the Training Institute. All Team Leads are highly encouraged to attend as well. Due to potential capacity limits, non-leadership team members are asked to apply to attend, and we'll follow up to confirm your registration soon after June 1st.
2018 Training Institute Details:
- DATE: August 11-12, 2017
- LOCATION: 800 Boylston St. Suite 300
- COST: The cost to participate in this year's Training Institute is $50, which will help us offset the costs of the conference.
- DEADLINES: The deadline for registration (including payment of the $50 conference fee) is JUNE 15th, 2018. The general application can be found here. Due to capacity limits, non-leadership team members are asked to apply to a separate team member application, which can be found here.
- IF YOU REQUIRE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: There is a limited pool of funding designated for participant travel and housing assistance. The financial assistance application form can be found here and the deadline to apply for financial aid is JUNE 15th, 2018.
- HOUSING: Housing is available at a discounted price through Hostelling International Boston using the promo code PIH2018. Given the competitive rates being provided, we will not reimburse more than $120 worth of housing for the entire weekend. The promo code is valid from August 9 to August 15.
- IF YOU ARE A MINOR (<18 years old in the U.S.): you are REQUIRED to bring a chaperon in order to secure housing. Hotels and hostels will not allow minors to book rooms without a legal adult chaperon. Please keep in mind that some hotels also have booking restrictions or additional deposits for persons under 21 years old.
- ACCESSIBILITY: Our goal is to make Training Institute accessible to everyone. For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Training Institute Free?
Training Institute has a small registration fee of $50 to help us offset the costs of the conference. Food provided includes breakfast and lunch for two days. The fee does not cover housing costs or transportation, but we do have some limited financial aid available by application.
All PIH Engage Team Coordinators for the 2018-2019 campaign year are required to attend the 2018 Training Institute. All other Team Leads are highly encouraged to attend as well. Team members and other interested parties are warmly invited to attend on an application basis. While we would love everyone in our network to be able to attend Training Institute, but we need to make sure we have the space first!
Boston's metro system, the T, runs throughout the entire city and is very affordable. We recommend getting a Charlie Card when you arrive in Boston at one of the many major T stops. Check out a map and full details here on the MBTA website.
All attendees are expected to stay for the entirety of the Training Institute. If you have extraordinary circumstances that do not allow you to attend the entire weekend, we ask that you indicate your availability on the Training Institute application and immediately follow up with PIH Engage staff to discuss the circumstances and alternatives. If your availability changes after filling out the application, immediately contact PIH Engage staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Housing is available at a discounted price through Hostelling International Boston using the promo code PIH2018. Given the competitive rates being provided, we will not reimburse more than $120 worth of housing for the entire weekend. The promo code is valid from August 9 to August 15.
What should I bring to Training Institute?
At Training Institute, PIH provides conference materials including a binder with room for notes and manuals for each Team Lead position. You are welcome to bring your laptop or other electronic note-taking devices, as well as snacks between meals if you'd like. Water bottles are highly encouraged to reduce waste!
The dress code for Training Institute is "smart casual." We don't expect anyone to have to wear tuxedos or ball gowns in order to work on the right to health movement. Do bring lots of layers in case the AC is blasting!
If there's someone you think would enjoy coming to Training Institute who is not currently on a PIH Engage team, they are welcome to apply along with everyone else by June 15th! Please reach out to us to let us know to look out for their application. We ask that all attendees pay the $50 registration fee if they plan on participating in the weekend.